Saturday, November 18, 2006

' went to the park today, to shoot some hoops.
The weather was damp and cold, and the wind was blowing through the trees in such a way that made the leaves flap, but not enough to make the branches sway.

It was enjoyable, for me, to watch the commercial traffic race by on the expressway outside of the park.

I love watching large commercial vehicles such as cranes, cargo trucks, and construction vehicles as they whiz and race by flashing their amber lights.

When I got tired of bouncing, passing and tossing the ball, I sat on a swing and watched the boys play.
While I was looking around, it felt as if I shed my adult mentality. Sitting on the swing, I ripped open a pack of candy pieces that I had in my coat pocket.
Consuming one at a time, I savored each piece and felt so calm and relaxed. Nothing was stressing me out, or worrying me or making me lose my calm.
I felt my breath was even, and I was happy.

It has been a long time since I have really enjoyed candy. I let each piece last as long as I could, before it melted away. The temperature, the sights, the sounds, the vibe, it all filled me with a good feeling. The candy was an added sweetness.

Living in NYC I have developed a bad habit of rushing meals...
Rushing through everything.
This city goes fast, and we who are in it tend to rush more than often.

It has been a long time since I have lingered on a swing, savoring a single piece of candy, feeling content and free.

Content and free...

I am not an emotional eater.
Yet I did realize that I have not allowed myself to enjoy things as much as I used to.

It was good for me to just be, to exist, to swing, to feel the wind blow.

No comments: